Thursday, May 26, 2011

I have thyroid cancer? Ah, shit...

As of now, it’s probably papillary carcinoma, which is 95% "curable", especially for those under 45 years old, and for the size of my tumor. Unfortunately, there is that 5%, which doesn't sound like much . . . but only 5% of all thyroid lumps are cancerous, and I already got crapped on with those odds.

 When they take it out, they’ll be able to tell if it was papillary, or one of 3 other types of thyroid cancers that are either just as curable or very aggressive. I’m not thinking about those now

 So, basically, I have the surgery to get the thyroid out. They examine the tumor and decide what type it was. During the surgery, they biopsy the lymph nodes around the area to see if it has spread. If it was papillary cancer, then I’ll get a month for recovery (in the summer, yay!) and then take a dose of radioactive iodine, which travels to any remaining tumor cells and kill them off. Done deal.

If the papillary cancer has spread to the lymph nodes (50% of the time it does, ugh), then I'll need a radical neck resection to remove those. They can only do one side of the neck at a time, with two months between surgeries, b/c of risk of swelling, and the extensiveness of that surgery.

I'm looking at 1, 2, or 3 surgeries, plus radioactive iodine. I'll glow in the dark, so you won't miss me :)

6 comments:

Toni said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. xoxoxo Toni

Sue, Tom, Emily & Eric said...

Only you would have such a good sense of humor right now, while most of us would be freaking out, unable to breathe. :) LOL! You know we are rooting for you, and hope you get the best news possible. Sending loads of love and prayers your way. xoxox Sue,Tom, Emily & Eric

[fiz-eek] geek said...

Suzz I am thinking about you and your family! You are in my thoughts and I am sending out good healing vibes to you!!
Jenn aka meplz

Scott R said...

Words aren't always the best and can fall short but it's the feeling behind them and so with that I am sending you all of my positive energy to add to the strength you have already to get through this. You can and you will beat it. xo Scott

Alexandra said...

Suzanne,
I'm sorry you are going through this! I am confident it will be okay- I have a friend whose mother had the same thing and after 6 mo treatment is back to normal. So sorry to hear!
Best wishes xox
Alex Weinstein

Sue said...

Hi Suz, any update?? Hoping things are OK! xoxoxo