Monday, March 17, 2008

Four short years ago

I was at work, trying not to think about the profile that we finally submitted to our adoption agency 5 days before. I had stalled and stalled sending it, b/c I just didn;t want to be in that limbo "waiting" period of unknown length.

My cell phone rang. It was the agency but I missed the call, and there was no message. I checked the voicemail at home, and the agency said they needed me to call ASAP. I just knew this was it.

I called the agency from the staff lounge at work. There were a few other co-workers there, but only one knew what was happening. I spoke to the agency, and after peeling myself off the floor after hearing we were tentatively matched, I was on the phone with the birthmother in less than 10 minutes in my boss' office. After 15 minutes, the birthmother said she liked me, but the agency wanted her to speak to my hubby too.

Well, it was about 11am on St. Patrick's Day . . . and the manager of an Irish pub on that day is not only crazy busy, but sometimes drinking alcohol somewhat early in the day! I was going to just drive to his restaurant and surprise him with the news, but I knew I had to stop him from imbibing before the phone call to the birthmother later that afternoon. I scrambled to call hubby, and make sure he hadn't had a sip yet (he didn't), and after he peeled himself up off the floor, we made sure he could get coverage for the time of the call. Luckily his aunt lived a mile away, so we went to her house to make the call. By 4pm that day, we were matched with our son, and had corned beef and cabbage to celebrate!

We'll be back there tonight to celebrate again as we do every year. Happy Match Day my son!

5 comments:

Kate said...

What a great true life story! And to celebrate it every year on St. Pat's Day too! :o)

azjenn said...

Amazing how fast the 4 years went by eh? It feels like just yesterday!

debi9kids said...

That is such a great story! You just made this momma cry!

meddlingkidd said...

I can't believe its been four years already! Boy, I thought I loved celebrating St. Patrick's Day every year :)!

Earthchild618 said...

Time sure does fly by. It is amazing! Happy Family Day!